Valley Conference Track & Field Background Screening Program
1. Sports are supposed to be fun. One way to ensure our sport remains a fun and safe environment for everyone is to perform criminal background screening on coaches and volunteers who have direct contact with youth athletes. As such, the Valley Conference Track & Field has implemented a criminal background screening program on coaches and volunteers of youth clubs. This background screening program is a requirement of the Valley Conference Track & Field insurer.
2. All coaches and volunteers who come in contact with youth athletes during registered club practices or other club-related track and field activities must submit a background check. Coaches/volunteers who 'pass' their background screening will have their names posted on the VYC T&F web site as being in “good standing.” Only these individuals will receive the protection of VYC T&F insurance liability. Additionally, if a lawsuit is filed against the club because of an act performed by a coach/volunteer who is not in “good standing” the club will not be covered for the coach/volunteer's actions.
3. VYC T&F has partnered with TClogiQ to provide a secure online process for coaches/volunteers to submit their background check information. TCLogiQ's system provides the highest level of security and was designed to ensure adherence with the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”).
Offenses Screened For
The following offenses are being screened for when a background check is performed on an applicant:
1. Any crimes against children
2. Any sexual offenses
3. Drug convictions (within 5 years)
4. Weapons violations
5. Assaults, battery or any other crime of violence
6. Lewd conduct
7. Two or more criminal convictions within the past five years and/or three or more criminal convictions as an adult.
Background Checks have been implemented by VYC T&F to:
1. Promote a safe, nurturing, and supportive athletic environment in which youth athletes can pursue their athletic goals;
2. Provide an environment where parents can feel good about allowing their child to participate in the sport of track & field; and
3. Maintain the sport of track and field as a hostile environment for those who would seek to harm youth athletes.
Please note that this screening is not intended to serve as a pre-employment background screening program, nor can screening guarantee that incidents of abuse by coaches/volunteers will not occur. Background screening is designed as a preventative risk management tool, but does no insure inappropriate behavior will not occur.